Tips for Writing a Case Study
Why do you need Case Studies on your site?
Assume the client does not have any intuition about your processes
Case Studies are designed to win the confidence of a prospective client. They need to see that you are capable of designing, developing and promoting their business through web development.
- Its as simple as a walking them through the project
- Outlining your creative strategy from conception to completion
- Provide the rationale behind the design, UX and visual decisions
When starting a new project, proactively think how you will document your processes for a written Case Study. Documentation is key, even in the form of notes and doodles. Keep it all for reference.
Five Core Elements of the Case Study
- Overview: Keep it brief, simple and quick to understand for skim reading. Include: main problem, overview of solution, and key results. Articulate the gist well in few words. Reader should get the gist of entire project in a nutshell.
- Context and Challenge: provide a detailed description of the context that led to the creation of the project. Three main elements:
- project description and background: timelines, budgetary constraints, and purpose of the job
- the issue: the WHY of the project, what issue led to the conception of the project?
- project goals and objectives: what are the tangible goals of the project
- Process: This is where you elaborate on the on how you worked the challenge into a solution. Its where you describe the concepts that led to design decisions. During this process you would have a good idea of the client’s customers, their industry and their competitors. You would have identified their strengths and where their message needed a boost to draw more attention to their site.
- The Solution: In this section of your Case Study you include samples of your design. A screen shot of the Home page displayed on a few devices shows in one image your design’s mobile responsiveness. Also include samples of any other visual enhancers that show off your skills as a developer. Its also your chance to describe the unique attributes you have used to deal with challenges.
- The Result: Business owners are most interested in the result. They need evidence that their money will be well spent. Its important to be able to show your design directly boosts your customer’s online traffic and/or sales goals. If your Case Study describes the analytics and statistics of traffic are directly influenced by your design, you are providing more evidence that your agency can do a great job for the next client.