Reduce costs on printing
Reduce costs in your office by saving money on your printing
- When printing pages with only a little unnecessary colour, change the printer setting to grayscale. This will print everything on the screen black, saving your precious colour cartridges and print out quicker too.
- When printing out an email make sure you only print the first page, not the entire thread.
- There are several programs that help eliminate page print out wastage. A company called Green Print have a patent-pending technology that searches the document and if the final page is nothing more than a URL from that website it will not print the final page. I don’t know about you but I often want to print out a particular article from a website only to find the preceding 10 pages of comments print out also. Only printing the necessary pages has been estimated to save up to 20% of office paper and of course ink.
- Non-label ink cartridges – if you are considering this option be aware that your printer warranty will be void if you use these cheaper alternatives. Will you use the warranty if you have a $250 or less printer?
- Non-label ink generally bleeds the words by ½ mm making text look bolder. This might not be a problem, but it is generally less professional looking.
- Re-fill stations – in most suburbs there will be places that will re-fill your old cartridges for significantly less than new replacements at a comparable quality and without all the waste going to landfill.
- One of the best ways to reduce costs is to purchase a printer that automatically prints double-sided. End of the financial year might equate to numerous pages of reports plus the ongoing storage problems for years to come. If you could halve the archival space of your documents you may use the free space for new accessories.
- For high-quality photo printing, it is far cheaper to go to your local photo shop than print in-house. Not only is photo paper expensive but each print out will cost far more than out-sourcing it.
These days it has become less and less necessary to bring out office documents. Most things can be stored and shared online in cloud-based systems. Documents can be emailed and viewed in a browser and even signed online. The paperless office is almost here thanks to electronic technology.